Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Catching up!


On Friday, September 5th we had a Sinterklaus celebration with Dave & Melis and Jan & Jen.  Sinterklaus is part of the Christmas holiday in Holland.  Here are some pics.  (Thanks Jen for giving the pics to me.)







Daniel made a sphere out of butter for Dave.  Then he cut out the continents and put them on, thus answering the eternal question:  "What would it be like if the world were made out of butter?"  The perfect gift for all those deep thinkers out there.


Jen gave the infamous Christmas horn to Daniel.  He of course gave the honors of ringing in the season with the horn to Dave who gladly blew it.  It never quite feels like Christmas till Dave blows the Christmas horn.

Dave and Melis gave me "The Official 'Dancing Queen Kit."  It had wings, a tutu a crown and a magic wand which was made out of a toilet bowel cleaner.  It was hilarious.  There was a picture of me in it, but I can't find it.  Anyway, we laughed a lot.  It was a very fun night.



The following Monday, the 7th, we went to see a live nativity.  It was so great!  Emma loved it and I really liked it as well.  Matthew was really bugged at first.  We had to stand in line for a while waiting for a trailer to come pic us up and take us to where the barns were.  Then we had to walk up a long hill to get inside.  That all took a while and Matthew was bugged the whole time.  I finally got him calmed down by wrapping him in a blanket and rocking him.  My arms hurt a lot the next day from holding him for such a long time.  It was worth it though because it was really cool.  The first barn had a camel, donkey, sheep and a bunch of people dressed up and making things that would have been made back when Christ was born.  That was kind of cool.  Then the next barn was awesome.  There were men standing up in the loft area above the door you walk in.  They were singing Christmas hymns.  Then we walked in  and there was the little manger scene.  A man and woman dressed up like Mary and Joseph and a little baby wrapped in swaddling clothes.  There was really an amazing spirit there.  Mary was holding the baby because he was a little fussy, and it was just so neat to see what it might have been like.  Mary put the baby in the manger for a minute and I could see that he had a binkie in.  I thought that was pretty funny.  The best part though, was to see Emma looking at the baby.  She absolutely loves the baby Jesus in all the manger scenes she sees.  She was so reverent looking at the little baby portraying Jesus.  I love that she loves Him so much.  It was wonderful.  (Thanks Melis for the pics especially since I lost my camera.)


Matthew all cuddled up in my arms.  I was so glad he finally calmed down.


Our little family with the camel.  I know you are all jealous because you want to have a picture of you family with a camel.  :)


Emma looking at Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus.


Mary putting the binkie back in the baby's mouth.

It was incredible and made me really appreciate all of the blessings of our day, and most especially the love that the Lord has for each one of us.  I cannot comprehend how much He must love us to do what He did for us.  What an incredible blessing.  I love this time of year to think and reflect about the Savior.  I hope I will do more to serve others to show my love to Him.

3 comments:

Flee said...

I love all the stories and pics! Aren't the holidays so much fun?

Steve and Chelle said...

Who knew baby Jesus had a binkie!!

hee hee!!!

Stacey said...

Cute pics! I love "How to Catch a Man like Dan". HA HA!

I want my picture with a camel. Gosh!