Friday, July 3, 2009

If I could I would ... Live A Bug's Life!

For those of you who don't know, one of my church callings was to the "chairperson of the float committee." Basically that meant that I was in charge of making a mini float for the Lehi parade. The theme this year was "If I Could, I Would..." We chose to do, "If I Could I Would ... Live a Bug's Life." Last year there were actually not too many GREAT floats, so we were really hoping to win this year because we had put a lot of effort into our float. However, when we got there, it turned out that there were a lot of GREAT floats this year! I didn't know if we would place this year or not, but we were fortunate enough to take the "Sweepstakes" award which is the highest award! The placing goes Sweepstakes, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, so that meant they liked our float the very best. We were ecstatic, especially since there were a lot of really good floats this year. I guess all of our hard work paid off! We were even more excited to find out the next day that all 3 judges picked our float for the best float which the lady on the committee told us very rarely ever happens. It was awesome! so, watch out because there are a bunch of pictures coming:


Here are several pictures of our float. We used ideas from the show "Bug's Life." So we put a bunch of things that were human things that bugs might have used. We made Christmas lights for the house lights; a macaroni and cheese box for the door; a tootsie pop wrapper for the picnic blanket; popsicle stick for the fence; bottle caps for stepping stones; a dots candy box for the flower planter under the window. It was a lot of fun coming up with ideas!


Here we are just starting on Friday night. This is the banner and the big piece of wood that the girls are using to hold it is a giant match stick!


This was during the Saturday parade. Notice the "sweepstakes" banner! We were so excited.


This is the plaque and award that we got for winning the sweepstakes award.


Here is a picture of our little ladybug (Emma) and butterfly (Emma's friend Mckinzie) at their little bug picnic. They were so good both days. They stayed on the float and looked so cute the whole time!


Here's our little ladybug family, minus Emma who was already on the float.


Matthew was more interested in playing with his ladybug dots then wearing them!


Here's a close-up of Emma's "ladybug smile."


This is me with our committee. There were other people who helped, but these were the main people who worked very hard to get this float done!

We had so much fun! I loved this calling despite the fact that it made June incredibly busy! It was awesome!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Cute pics! Congrats on the win!

nora.lakehurst said...

Very cute. thanks for posting. Hollly Spendlove was there and said that your float was the best!

Katie said...

WOW! You are so creative!!! (Not only with the float, but with the Southern Olympics, etc.) I'm very impressed with your float. I'm glad you won. BTW- You look great in all your pics! :) It looks like you've been really busy, but it looks like fun too!