Sunday, July 12, 2009

Moyle Park

Okay, so I am way behind. We actually went to Moyle Park about 2 and a half weeks ago, but I guess it's better late then never.

For those of you who don't know, if you click on the picture it will come up much larger so you can see each individual picture. I just learned that and thought I would pass it on for those who don't know! :)

My sister-in-law put together a summer field trip schedule that has us going and doing something fun each wednesday morning. On July 1st we went to Moyle Park and had a great time! Moyle Park was the home of the man who walked from Alpine up to the Salt Lake Temple and carved "Holiness to the Lord, The House of the Lord" on the temple. As if it is not enough that he walked all that way, he did so even after an accident that required the amputation of his leg. He carved himself a wooden leg and kept on going. Now they have a historic site where his house was and on Tuesdays they have people who volunteer there. These people are descendants of John Moyle and they dress up in pioneer clothes (even the little kids) and they show how life would have been back then. It was really neat and was our favorite field trip this summer.

Emma (starting at the top left and going clockwise) got to try roping a steer, playing the stick pull, beating the rug, making a candle, washing clothes and making butter all the way the pioneers did. Her favorite parts seemed to be making the candle and churning the butter. She did not like the stick pull, I think because Annika won and she does NOT like to lose. :)


Bugsy (from top left going clockwise) waiting for Emma to finish her candle, playing in the rocks in the barn while Emma finished her candle, excited about watching the kids clean the laundry, wanted to ride the steer instead of rope it, and loved churning the butter. He didn't get to do everything because he was a little too small. Unfortunately letting him play in the rocks while Emma finished her candle was a mistake as his hair and everything smelled awful the rest of the day.

We had a great time, even Bugs who couldn't do everything had fun.

Thanks to Janelle and Karla for sending the pics to me.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Cute pics! I wish we could have been there,it looks like the kids had a fun time.

Corilee said...

How on earth did you learn that Moyle's Parl even existed. We've live in Utah County for 29 years and I only heard about it because of you kids going to it. Is sound like so much fun. Cute babies (I know they are no longer babies but the seem like they are to me.) Love to you and your's