Monday, August 16, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Pretty well!  It's getting pretty large.  This was our garden on August 5th.


Here is Emma in front of the tomatoes, squash, and pumpkin plants.  I didn't know that tomatoes got so big!


And here she is in front of our giant pumpkins and corn.


This is a zucchini that I didn't see and it grew pretty enormous.  I gave some to Jenn and it still took several days of smoothies to get through the rest of it.



Unfortunately on August 4th we had this...


which led to this, (yes that is hail in Utah in August)...


which led to this!
Many of the leaves on our larger plants were shredded by the hail storm.  However, the garden has done alright despite the hail and some bugs that killed most of our smaller pumpkins.  We have had corn a couple of times and it is delicious.  We have a couple of bags of veggies in our fridge right now that need to be used and more growing in the garden.  Now I just need to learn to like veggies.  It has been a good trial year though.  I think it will take us a couple of tries to figure out how to get larger yields, and less leafage.  However, it has gone well for our first try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! That is a gorgeous garden! I wish I felt secure enough in where we're living some year to feel like it's worth it to plant a garden. (I'd hate to plant a garden, take care of it, then move and let someone else eat it all!)