Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Canning, Cross-dressing and Cookie Cutters!

I am going with a "C" theme today as you can see from the title of this post. Let's start with canning.

Mither would be proud!!! I remember mom doing spotlights on me for young women activities several times while I was growing up. Each time I remember her bringing up the time that I canned peaches all day long with her at 8 years of age. I suppose it must have been such an incredible experience that I did not do it again for 21 years. :) So, the day after my 29th birthday I decided to try my hand at it again, with a little help of course.

Jenn and I each had a small box of peaches and I had a box of pears. We started with the peaches last Saturday. Tamara was kind enough to let us use her steam canner and teach us what to do. She was very helpful and the tips and tricks she gave us were invaluable. Finally about 3 hours after we began, we had 18 quarts of lovely peaches and a very messy kitchen. It was GREAT! It was so great in fact that we did it again last night and ended up with 15 quarts of pears and 4 more quarts of peaches. I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. Not that I loved pealing the slimy fruit or working over a hot stove, but I loved looking at the bottles all lined up and filled with beautiful fruit and knowing that I had accomplished something. It was awesome!


The second of my "C's" is cross-dressing. Not that I have taken up the habit, but my son certainly has. For the last several months he has wanted me to put the sparkly lip gloss on his lips like I do for Emma. Likewise, whenever he finds a hair clip he won't rest until I put it in his hair for him. He had donned both of these very manly things this morning, so of course he had to have a shirt to go with it. We were going through some clothes a friend of Janice's gave us and he saw a pink shirt with a kitty on it and had to wear it. That wass it, his cross-dressing career had officially started. I suppose however, the outfit would have been somewhat more complete had he been wearing his sister's sparkly pink shoes as he was in the previous post. Fortunately those were put away, so he didn't have the option. At any rate, here are some pictures. I love his hair falling in his eyes.


Speaking of hair falling in eyes, that brings me to my last "C" for this post, Cookie Cutters. This is a child's hair cutting place. After looking at the pictures above of Matthew's long hair, I decided to call and get an appointment to have both him and Emma get their hair cut. Emma's hair turned out about the same, just a little trim for her. However, I have not often had the opportunity of explaining what I want done with Matthew's hair. I told him I wanted the sides very short and that I liked to comb the top over. Here are some pictures of what we ended up with.
Here is Emma's "cheese" smile again! Her hair looks pretty standard.


Here she is showing her pink balloon that she got from Cookie Cutters.


Matthew on the other hand had his hair butchered! When I went to tell the lady what I wanted done with Emma's hair, I cam back and the gentleman cutting Matthew's hair had cut the top so short! It was not a good length, so he asked if I wanted it shorter. NO!!! I did not want it shorter, but it looked dumb the way it was, so I told him to go ahead and cut it shorter.


Matthew ended up with basically the same haircut that the guy who cut it had as did the little boy who had his hair cut before Matthew. Maybe that guy just liked this particular hair cut. Or maybe I just didn't communicate what my preference was very well. At any rate, his hair is quite short now. Oh well, at least it grows fast. :)

5 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

I LOVE his hair! He looks so darling. Seriously Its darling.

Stacey said...

Oh my goodness,Matthew's hair looks so cute! I love it! It makes him look more like a little boy than a baby.

Unknown said...

Well, I suppose the man was really trying the whole "Cookie Cutter" thing -- all cuts are the exact same! Maybe someday I'll take my girls to get a "real" hair cut. They're gonna grow up thinking a haircut is something that happens while standing on a chair or stool in the bathroom while Mama takes the "no-no" scissors to your hair, lol. I think it's darling on Matthew, but i can see how it's gonna be a beast to grow out!

Corilee said...

Honey, that is a darling boy you have there! He looks so much like my brother Stephan I can hardly believe it. He even has the same.... I can't remember the word....seriously this memory thing is the pits.

Oh Yeah! It's cowlicks!! Isn't it???

Tyler & Nikki said...

Emilee - your kids are so cute. Your little girl looks just like you.