Monday, July 12, 2010

Gardening

Well this post is long overdue, but better late than never I guess. Daniel and I have decided to do a garden this year. We are trying the square foot gardening method and it has actually turned out to be a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I can definitely say that when I was young and pulling weeds I never thought I would say that gardening was fun, but maybe I've matured since then ... no probably not. :)

Anyway, the Spring this year was very cold and we did not get much of a crop at all. The lettuce has been growing well lately and we have some carrots, but other than that, the spring crop did not really produce. The Summer garden, however, is a different story. It is going really well. We've got a lot growth and several of the plants are fruiting now. It is so fun to see them grow. I didn't enjoy the watering very much at first, but now I love going out and spending time watering and looking at the plants to see their progress. Hopefully we will get a good harvest as well to make all the time worth it. :)


Here is a collage of our garden. The left side is from June 25th before we had very much growth. It was fun to see the little seedlings break through the ground, but still, there was not a whole lot going on at this point. The right side are some pics I took today, so you can see how much growth has happened in the last couple of weeks.


We also have another section back by Daniel's skateboard ramp, but I don't have pictures of those. We did 2 boxes with corn and the corn is starting to get pretty large. Then we have one smaller box that we planted giant pumpkin plants. I don't know how well those will work because we got them in a little late, but I guess we'll see. Anyway, it's a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Love the pics of your garden! I have some pics of the corn. I'll have to give them to you when we get back.
Miss you!!! :)